Are you a breast cancer survivor wanting to further your fitness and have fun?
Join a Dragon Boat team of strong women who’ve overcome breast cancer through wellness!
The goal of Sistership is to encourage our team to participate in an inclusive environment where we show strength, resilience and camaraderie for breast cancer survivors. Sistership members come from diverse backgrounds, range in age from 30 to 70+, and have varied fitness levels. No previous experience is required.
It is important to us to affirm that, as an organization, we stand against all forms of racism, discrimination and intolerance.
Research supports the benefits of exercise in the management of breast cancer. We have learned that the level of individual commitment to our program has a major impact on the safety and success of the team, both on and off the water.
In order to prepare for the high-intensity aerobic activity of dragon boating, it is necessary for new crew members to:
- be out of active treatment or surgery for a minimum of three months,
- obtain written approval from a physician,
- be committed to maintaining a sports-specific training and paddling program,
- be able to swim 50m in a personal floatation device (PFD),
- be actively involved in the committee work required to run the organization, and
- pay an annual registration fee.
Additionally, participation in the Calgary Dragon Boat Festival is strongly encouraged.